- We strive to provide complete care for our patients. Learn more about all the services we provide.
You are using an outdated browser. Please upgrade your browser to improve your experience.
What to Do If You Mistakenly Gave Your Pet an NSAID
Immediately contact your veterinarian for an emergency appointment. DO NOT WAIT for the next available appointment; this is an emergency.
Be able to tell your veterinarian what medication(s) your pet ingested, how much your pet ingested, what strength the medication was, and how long ago it happened.
These facts are all critical for your veterinarian in order for him or her to be able to make a treatment plan and give you an accurate prognosis as well as be able to tell you what to expect both with your pet’s treatment plan and the financial aspect.
There are many medications available over the counter (OTC) at pharmacies and grocery stores that we consider to be safe, their use to be routine. We don’t think twice about picking up medications to help with pain or flu symptoms. What many people don’t consider is that these same medications can be very dangerous and even fatal for our pets.
As mammals, humans, dogs, and cats metabolize many medications the same way. Your veterinarian will often prescribe medications that were developed for people for use in your pet. However, there are several classes of medications that don’t work the same way for humans as they do for our pets.
The most common class of medications that is very dangerous and easily fatal for pets are non-steroidal anti-inflammatories (NSAIDs). These medications are what people think of as OTC pain relievers, such as acetaminophen (Tylenol), naproxen (Aleve), ibuprofen (Advil) and many others.
We see commercials for them all the time that exclaim how effective and safe they are for everyday use. Because of this, owners feel that they must be helping their pets by giving them these medications for injuries and arthritis.
Unfortunately, in dogs and cats, these medications are not metabolized the same way, and, in our pets, toxic chemicals are created in the body. These toxic chemicals can cause kidney failure, liver failure, stomach ulcers, and even keep the blood from being able to carry oxygen.
With known ingestion, it is important to get your pet to the vet immediately. If too much time has passed and the pet has absorbed the medications or is already showing signs of poisoning, very aggressive therapy is needed and is not always successful.
Because human NSAIDs cannot be used for pain management in pets, animal pharmaceutical companies have been successful in developing very effective NSAIDs for dogs and cats that have a lower risk of side effects. These medications are available from any veterinarian.
As with any medication, prescription or OTC, it is important to discuss with your veterinarian what medication you want to give your pet and possible side effects to be aware of.
Welcome to South Coastal Animal Health
Dr. Grace Strake DVM, Dr. Lori Harvey DVM, Dr. Liz Czaplicki DVM, Dr. Sandra Tam-Brinker DVM,
Dr. Sophie Johnstone DVM, Dr. Colleen Mead DVM, Dr. Kim Fortier Leidl DVM
South Coastal Animal Health opened it's doors in July of 2006. Privately owned and operated by Dr. Grace Strake, SCAH is a state of the art veterinary practice with a personal touch. Unlike larger hospitals, at South Coastal you will develop a one on one relationship with the doctors and the staff. We offer comprehensive animal health care ranging from preventative medicine and vaccinations to intensive care cases and involved surgical procedures. At South Coastal we pride ourselves on our top quality care, modern, fully equipped facility and friendly, knowledgeable staff.
Your Pets . . . Our Family!
We are open for appointments Monday - Saturday and can handle some emergencies normal business hours.
Visit our Online store for all your prescriptions and food delivered right to your door!
If you'd like one of our staff members to contact you please fill out your information below and we will get back to you as soon as possible!